Growing up in a Catholic home, Christmas is one festival that is so very important to my family.
Every year, we go for the 9 pm service and then come back home, spend time with the grandparents and binge on all the Christmas sweets while I sip on my Grandma’s homemade wine before we head to the club for the traditional Cake and Wine show at midnight.
This year my entire family from Australia is down and so the plans change a bit. I’m not heading to the club this year, but I will still come back home, chill with the family and a couple of close friends and eat all the favourite Christmas treats.
Out of the many things everyone around the table eat, there are two traditional treats that stand out for me and it’s only these two things that I eat on Christmas Eve.
Mama’s Rum Cake and My Rum Balls
Old Monk is my best friend. It has always been and trust me, these two delicacies are a must have on Christmas Eve.
Do try out these two recipes and feel free to comment below.
So the year is finally coming to an end and it’s been such a great festive season that still continues…
Merry Christmas and a Blessed 2016 to you all! 🙂
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees celsius.
- In a mixing bowl, separate the egg yolks and whites. Keep aside.
- In the mean while, caramelize the sugar till dark brown.
- In another vessel, sift the flour and baking powder. Add the powdered sugar, butter, ghee and egg yolks. Blend the egg yolks, sugar, ghee till fluffy. Keep aside.
- Alternatively add one spoonful of the flour mixture, the fruit mixture, the caramel till half the quantity is done. Beat the egg whites stiff and continue the mixing process till you get the right consistency.
- Last of all, add the vanilla essence and put in the oven to bake for approximately 90 mins.
- Serve with wine.
- Crush the biscuits into small pieces. Keep aside.
- Sift the cocoa, icing sugar and coffee in a mixing bowl. Then add the biscuits, condensed milk and rum to this mixture and form a dough.
- Take small bits of the dough and roll into balls.
- Serve topped with the remaining icing sugar.
You can like my Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/yummyinsidemytummy
You can follow me on Twitter & Instagram: @msyumtum